Course Design Institute
The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is offering a course design institute that elevates inclusive teaching practices. During the four-day institute, participants will (re)design courses with careful attention to the ways they can help all students thrive through greater belonging and engagement. Each day participants will complete activities, have individual work time, and engage with peer sharing and student feedback.
Register for the Course Design Institute AND/OR the Ungrading Workshop.
- Design course elements in which learning objectives, activities, and assessments are aligned and foster inclusion and equity.
- Identify or create instructional materials that engage a diverse perspective and support learning.
- Design activities or assignments that encompass holistic, active learning and a reflective learning process.
- Explore the MCC teaching environment and the tools and resources available to faculty.
- Receive real time feedback on their course outcomes and design from instructional designers, instructional technologists, and MCC students.
- Network and connect with fellow MCC faculty across disciplines who share similar teaching interests.
- Develop a (re)designed syllabus and course plans for the coming semesters.
|Day 1: |
|Day 2: |
|Day 4: |
|Morning 9:00AM-12:15PM||Who are my students? What will they learn? What will I learn?||What is equity-minded assessment for learning?|
Featured Speaker: Jesse Stommel
|In what ways are diverse voices and perspectives evident in teaching and learning? What is active learning?||In what ways is this course significant, learner-centered, and formative?|
|Lunch, Tools, and Resources|
|Office of Institutional Effectiveness||Canvas Tools||Library||Center for Teaching and Learning|
|Afternoon Session A|
|Individual work time and student feedback||Ungrading workshop OR Individual work time and student feedback||Ungrading workshop OR Individual work time and student feedback||Ungrading workshop OR Individual work time and student feedback|
|Afternoon Session B|
|Individual work time and peer feedback||Individual work time and peer feedback||Individual work time and peer feedback||Individual work time and peer feedback|
What is ungrading? The CTL is partnering with faculty from the English Department to offer a hybrid ungrading workshop. MCC employees may register for the ungrading workshop only OR the ungrading workshop AND the course design institute. During the six-day workshop, participants will engage with real time discussions and activities and deep dive into equity and assessment topics via a Canvas course. Faculty completers will be invited to commit to fall term peer mentoring with ungrading faculty leads.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4-6|
|Morning 9:00AM-12:15PM||What is equity-minded assessment for learning?|
Featured Speaker: Jesse Stommel hyflex
|Ungrading workshop hyflex||Ungrading workshop hyflex||Ungrading workshop hyflex|
|On Your Own Time Online||Ungrading online instruction OYOT||Ungrading online instruction OYOT||OYOT online|
|Activity||Dates||In-person Hours||Online Hours||Rate||One-time Payment|
|Course Design Institute||August|
|Course Design Institute AND|
Funding provided by the U.S. Department of Education Title V SENDAS Grant. Open to MCC employees only.