The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is excited to announce eVenture Online Course Design for faculty to explore, apply, and share effective design techniques to their online instructional practice. The program is designed to infuse professional development with 1:1 consultation for individualized support. eVenture is a responsive CTL program designed to foster professional development, cultivate a sense of community, provide time to learn about and complete a “design” project, encourage department sharing, and offer CTL support along the way. Optionally, program participants can certify courses to receive the Z Course tag by ensuring the course has zero textbook costs for students.
It is an expectation that the courses faculty develop through eVenture will be shared among faculty.
The eVenture Online Course Design program requirements include:
Note: indicates an optional Z Course requirement.
- Submit the Interest Form with acknowledgement of Department Chair support.
- Complete 10 hours of professional development including:
- Meet with an eLearning/CTL designer to share how you have applied resources and tools from professional development (see #2) to your course design.
- Complete your online course design project.
- Conduct a Quality Matters Self Review.
- Create and share a screencast tutorial of your new or revised course with colleagues in your department.
- Make the course available for other MCC faculty to use.
eVenture is ongoing. Faculty may apply at any time for the program. Once approved, faculty must complete the program requirements within a semester (spring, summer, or fall.)
eVenture participants can earn up to $1500. The first payment will be distributed after the faculty/designer consultation session. During the session, the designer will verify that the faculty have applied resources and tools from professional development (see #2 in requirements) to their course design. The second payment will be distributed after the faculty creates and shares the screencast course tutorial and makes the course available to other MCC faculty to use.
Optionally, complete the additional Z Course requirements, indicated by , to earn an additional $350. This also requires that all course content will be zero cost to students.
NOTE: Due to Federal requirements, faculty who are at maximum load any semester (spring, summer, or fall) are not eligible for additional funding during that semester through any stipend program, including eVenture.
- Interest Form: Complete the Interest Form. All interest forms will be reviewed by the CTL eVenture leads to verify program commitment. Applicants who clearly articulate their desire to improve online course design through this professional development program will be invited to participate in the program.
- Professional Development: Self-enroll and complete the eLearning and MCC and Canvas for Online Engagement professional development courses. View or attend the online course planning and design sessions. Complete the MCC OER course.
- Consultation: Schedule time to meet with an eLearning or CTL designer to share how you have applied resources and tools from professional development (see #2 in requirements) to your course design. The designer may make recommendations to enhance the online course design.
- Course Design: Apply what you have learned to your course design. Utilize the following to complete the optional Z Course requirements
- Create a Quality Matters account or if you already have one, sign into the Quality Matters website and conduct a Self Review. Make sure to annotate each standard with significant explanation noting the area in which the reviewer can expect to find the evidence. Save the Self Review as a PDF file.
- Screencast: Create a screencast tutorial for the course that other faculty might use to explore the course layout and highlight design features.
- Course Sharing:
- Export the Canvas course to an .imscc file. Upload the course export into a provided Google drive repository for other MCC faculty to use.
- Once you have reviewed and completed the previous four steps, submit your course for Z Degree consideration.
- Self Enroll in the Z Degree Program course.
- Copy the URL of the Canvas course you would like considered for the Z Course distinction and type it into the Z Course Application assignment.
- Include the course prefix and number of the course.
- Attach a PDF version of your full QM Self Review to this assignment.
All faculty are encouraged to apply. Faculty that apply but do not complete the full program (before payment) may apply again. Adjunct Faculty note: All Adjunct Faculty are encouraged to apply, if you are not scheduled for a class in the online schedules available, we will seek Chair support as part of the initial interest form decision process.
- eVenture and any other funded program must be “above and beyond” your normal job duties. Course development is an assumed part of your job which is why the program integrates professional development, CTL consultation, and department sharing.
- This is an MCC program and only MCC residential and adjunct faculty are eligible.
- Funded development is considered “work for hire” and legally enters you into a shared license agreement with the District office.