Welcome to Masterpiece Canvas! In this episode we’ll be learning about the benefits of online quizzes and exams and how to implement them in Canvas.
Some of the advantages of creating online quizzes and exams include:
- The ability to automatically randomize questions and possible answers.
- The ability to set a time limit and give a specific number of attempts for the exam or quiz.
- Instantaneous quiz or exam results for the students as well as the instructor providing rapid insight on opportunities for improvement.
- Many different types of questions as well as types of quizzes (surveys, practice quizzes, and graded quizzes).
Check out this handy Canvas Guide for creating an online quiz!
This video will also give you an additional overview of Canvas Quizzes.
Tips for online quizzes
The following tips can help you and your students be successful in completing and submitting online quizzes.
- Create a low-stakes quiz to allow students to practice accessing quizzes and become familiar with the quiz interface. Check out the student guide for Taking an online quiz.
- Setup a practice quiz to give your students an opportunity to check their knowledge on a topic. This type of quiz can be attempted multiple times. The practice quiz can show the correct answers after completion and guide students back to course content for additional learning.
- Setup a graded quiz with a finite number of attempts for exams. You can also set a time limit for the exam to be completed.
- Consider enabling the display one question at a time option for exams that build off previous questions.
- Use a variety of question types (multiple choice, short answer, matching, etc.)
- Be sure to check your questions for clarity, spelling, and grammar issues.
- You can provide accommodations for students by using the Moderate this quiz button.
You can learn more about the many things you can do with online quizzes in Canvas by visiting the Canvas Instructor Guides.