The course Syllabus. The tried and true pillar of higher education. It is the one document that defines your course, sets the tone for the semester, clarifies your expectations, student responsibilities, explains the organization and structure of your course and so much more!
In Maricopa we have an administrative regulation regarding the Syllabus and the components that are required by the District are many and crucial. All sections required in the administrative regulations are required to be present in each syllabus. There are two important aspects of the admin regulation regarding the syllabus that we would like to highlight for your reference:
- The instructor must present a course syllabus to students during the first week of a class (before the end of drop/add).
- A copy of the course syllabus must be submitted to the division/department office at the college no later than the end of the first week of class.
At Mesa Community College we have additional recommended statements for the syllabus based on our college priorities, support services, initiatives, and outcomes. Please note, while we provide them for you and update them each semester, they are recommended, this means you can choose to include them or not, or you can revise them as you see applicable to your course. Our Fall 2023 College Recommended Syllabus Statements include:
- Academic Integrity & Conduct
- Generative Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Attendance Policy
- Excused Absences Policy
- Attendance Withdrawal Policy
- Canvas Learning Management System
- Class Recordings
- Course Survey
- Counseling Services
- Early Alert (CARE Report)
- Grading Policy
- Late Work
- Honors Program
- Information for Students of Faith
- Institutional Learning Outcomes
- Make Up Tests & Late Work
- Online Tutoring by Brainfuse
- Other Technologies
- Student Email
- Statement on Student Responsibilities
- Student Resource Referral Guide
- Tuition Charges and Refunds
- Tutoring & Academic Support
- Learning Enhancement Center
- Online Tutoring
- Peer Embedded Tutoring
Tool to Assist Your Syllabus Creation!!
To assist you in your Syllabus creation the “Simple Syllabus” button in Canvas auto-generates a Syllabus that is college branded (based on your course location) and has all the required and recommended statements included for you. It automatically feeds your course information from SIS into the Syllabus so you don’t need to update it for the new semester, you simply need to unplublish what you don’t want to include and edit the sections that you do want to include but customize for your course. *Feel free to hide sections that you do not wish to keep.
MCC Syllabus Generator is now Simple Syllabus
If you wish to use Google Doc and/or PDF for your syllabus: please feel free to continue to use your previous syllabi as a starting point to modify. Although, we do highly encourage you to ensure that your syllabus is also ADA accessible. (for Tips on making documents and pdf’s accessible visit this page.)
MCC Syllabus Generator is now Simple Syllabus!
While we are sad to see our award winning Syllabus Generator retire we are excited about the new tool, Simple Syllabus! What was great 10 years ago is not always great today and due to changes in technology- the Generator has been unable to keep up with demands of privacy and security and so it will be sunsetting at the end of the semester.
However, we have an even better tool replacement for you! As with the Generator, you are welcome to use it – or continue to use the syllabus you have always been using. You will find, however, the new tool has some fantastic benefits!
Benefits of using Simple Syllabus in Canvas:
- SIS data is automatically added
- Completely customizable
- Branded, accessible, includes ALL required and recommended statements that are always current for you ( you don’t have to update them anymore) and you can turn them on or off as you see fit OR you can edit them as you see fit
- Reads your course location and automatically brands it Red Mountain or Southern & Dobson
- Embedded in Canvas already
- ADA compliant
The CTL Mesa Syllabus Generator retired at the end of Fall semester 2022 but Mesa Employees can watch a short video to see what Simple Syllabus is all about! (log in required)
If you wish to create your own google doc version for your Course Syllabus you can use a Syllabus Template and a Syllabus Acknowledgement we created for your use. This template can be copied into your google drive, so that you can simply go in and add your specific course information. (You need to log in with your MEID to access the template)
Feel free to contact one of us if you would like assistance as we are more than happy to help you design and create a syllabus that meets the district needs, college, and your specific needs. Simply contact us for further assistance.