Instructor Changes from SIS
Instructor Changes in SIS are still not populating through to Canvas this semester.
New instructors are added when there is an instructor change but old instructors are not removed. This should be working later in the semester when district has modified the SIS data sent to Canvas.
In the meantime, take a moment to access the Settings of your course (at the bottom left) and click on Users. If there are previous instructors in your course, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the section number and your name.
Next Release is 1/26/2013
The next Canvas release is scheduled for 1/26/2013, included in this release are minor adjustments to the options in the Collaborations tool and bug fixes.
Attendance Tool Preview
The attendance tool (aka Roll Call tool) is in beta testing and is not ‘yet’ available at MCC. By summer semester it should be enabled. In the meantime, as a preview, the Attendance tool seems to be a quick and easy way to mark attendance:
- Instructors can mark students as ‘attended’, ‘late’, or ‘missed’.
- Canvas will automatically calculate the attendance earned by the student and post a percentage to the gradebook throughout the course (if desired).
- Instructors can use the list of student names to mark attendance each date or can use a visual seating chart.
List View of Attendance Tool
Seating Chart View of Attendance Tool
Learning opportunities will start to gear up at Mesa Community College later this week, view our Spring Learning Guide and/or our calendar for further details.
Thursday, January 17
9-10am Getting Started in Canvas in 10 Steps (CTL Workshop Room)
Tuesday, January 22
6-7pm Getting Started in Canvas in 10 Steps (CTL Workshop Room)
Saturday, January 26
9am-11am Giving Quality Assignment Feedback in Canvas (CTL Workshop Room)
Monday, January 28
5:30-7pm Using the Canvas Quiz Tool Effectively (CTL Workshop Room)
Tuesday, January 29
3-4:30pm Using the Canvas Quiz Tool Effectively (CTL Workshop Room)
Wednesday, January 30
3:30-4:30pm Getting Started in Canvas in 10 Steps (Red Mountain PV 209)
Thursday, January 31
9am-4pm Canvas Open Lab all day (CTL Workshop Room)
Friday, February 1
2-4pm Working Together in Canvas: Peer Review and Groups (CTL Workshop Room)
Did You Know?
Who’s Logging in?
Interested in the latest login date is for each student?
1) Access your course Settings
2) Click on Course Statistics
3) Click on the Users tab and see the last login for each student (updated throughout the day)
4) Click on a student name to see even further details, including which browser is being used and their page view history.