SENDAS Cultural Responsiveness
Critical multicultural awareness skills require educators to examine their own cultural values, beliefs, and perceptions in order to ensure culturally responsive practices that promote an inclusive campus climate supportive of all students’ success (Aceves and Orosco, 2014). The SENDAS Project will activate a comprehensive approach to ensuring all faculty, staff, and administration become culturally competent to address the needs of the increasingly diverse student body and promote a welcoming, inclusive college climate.
During the Title V SENDAS grant-funded years, all employees at MCC will have access to professional development that fosters cultural responsiveness in life and work.
Cultural Responsiveness Professional Development Payment Opportunity
MCC employees that complete ten hours of SENDAS Project professional development will be eligible for a $300 one-time payment. To earn the payment, the employee must complete this form to:
- acknowledge research parameters,
- submit an artifact to show the application of cultural responsiveness to your work at MCC, and
- agree to participate in a focus group (if available).
Research components should be completed outside of regular work hours. Payments are limited to grant funding.
Cultural Responsiveness Schedule
OPTION A: Choose any of the SENDAS eligible professional development sessions that are available on the CTL calendar.
OPTION B: Use your employee tuition waiver and enroll in to any of the SENDAS eligible MCC courses.
Would you like to facilitate a workshop?
All MCC employees with evidenced-based knowledge of intercultural concepts are invited to plan and offer one or more workshop. Unless training is part of your job description, facilitators are paid $30.375. hourly to develop and facilitate the session. The development formula is 2:1 planning hours to session duration.
- Submit the SENDAS workshop template to Megan Garvy, SENDAS Professional Development Coordinator
- Meet with Nicole Collins, MCC Diversity Officer, to review the workshop plan
- Coordinate with Cheryl Patton, Administrative Assistant in the CTL, to add the session(s) to the MCCCD Employee Learn Center for employee registration