Mindfulness as a focus of professional development improves the college experience by promoting strategies that help calm and focus the mind. Not only can faculty and staff benefit from mindfulness to help manage the difficulties of life and stressors of community college work, but mindfulness practices applied to instruction and student supports significantly benefit students. Research has shown that mindfulness practices facilitate a wide variety of positive learning outcomes and well-being for students, including increased attention, focus, and emotional regulation (Clarke, 2019).
During the Title V SENDAS grant-funded years, all employees at MCC will have access to mindfulness professional development.
Mindfulness Professional Development Payment Opportunity
MCC employees that complete ten hours of SENDAS Project professional development will be eligible for a $300 one-time payment. To earn the payment, the employee must complete this form to:
- acknowledge research parameters,
- submit an artifact to show the application of Mindfulness to your work at MCC, and
- participate in a focus group (if available).
Research components should be completed outside of regular work hours. Employees are only eligible for a single one-time payment per term for this professional development. Payments are limited to grant funding.
SENDAS Mindfulness Research Commitment
to acknowledge that you completed 10 hours of SENDAS Mindfulness professional development and would like to participate in the SENDAS Project research components listed above.
OPTION A: Choose any of the SENDAS eligible professional development available on the CTL calendar.
OPTION B: Use your MCC employee tuition waiver and enroll into SWU250: Mindfulness for Stress Management.
Long-Term Professional Development Workshops
Facilitator: Dori DiPietro, MBSR Teacher
Long-term professional development workshops are a 6-week commitment. Participants can miss one session to remain eligible for the payment.
- Foundations of Mindfulness for Stress Management: An introduction to mindfulness practices and their application in creating work-life balance and well-being.
- Contemplative Pedagogy in the Classroom: Use “The Tree of Contemplative Practices” to apply mindfulness in our teaching and learning.
Mindfulness Fitness and Wellness
Facilitators: Gail Herndon and Nicole Bruno
Only three hours of Mindfulness Fitness and Wellness sessions may be applied to the 10 hour requirements for payment eligibility.
- Mindful Body Movement Series
- Mindful Rest, Relaxation & Rejuvenation